Tuesday 12 February 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry
 

 
 
Remember when I said in my introduction that sometimes I would used jarred food? Well this is one of those times, although instead of using a whole ready made simmer sauces (those usually contain the vegies in them already and I prefer using fresh vegies) I use a jarred marinade and also use it as a sauce (it's the masterfoods brand which contains nothing artificial, so I knew it was fine to serve the family). It's the first time I have tried it and it turned out pretty good. It was also super quick once the chicken is marinated. Even with mariating the chicken, it only takes about 30-40 mins.
 
Hubby loved this one, and my mother-in-law who was visiting for dinner also loved it.
 
Time taken?: Took me about 40 mins all up, but I had forgotten to buy rice and had to wait for someone to rush down to the shops for a packet!
 
2 year old friendly?: Wouldn't know- he was in a mood and even try it! It's something he would eat at daycare though so probably would be for other kids.
 
This makes 4 big serves
 
INGREDIENTS
750g chicken breast, cut into small cubes
1 medium capsicum, chopped into small batons
1 medium onion, sliced
About 1.5 cups of mushrooms
1 jar of masterfoods "Sweet Plum Marinade"
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Olive oil
Steamed or boiled white rice to serve
 
METHOD
Pour about 3/4 of the plum sauce over the diced chicken breast and put in the fridge to marinate for at least 20 mins
Once chicken is marinated, heat a small amount of oil in a large saucepan on high heat and add the chicken (without draining). Cook, stirring, until just cooked through.
Add the vegetables, the rest of the marinade and the soy sauce. Cook, stirring, until sauce well encorporated and the vegetables are tender yet still slightly crisp.
 
Serve with the rice.
  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment