Tuesday 18 September 2012

Lamb Chops with Leek and Potato Porridge

Lamb Chops with Leek and Potato Porridge
 
I must confess, before tonight I have never cooked lamb chops- and have barely ever eaten them (very Un-Australian I know!), but I have to say now that I am a BIG fan. This is a 'Fast Eddy' recipe, except the marinade for the chops came from a tip work collegue (thanks Carmel!) and the chops are definately the hero of this dish. The porridge is good- but not something I'd rush to cook again due to the time it takes to prepare the leek and potato (I actually had to PEEL the potatoes- not usually something I like to do on a week night!). It was good to have something a little different to my usual sides though, so I'd encourage you to try it for that reason.
 
Time taken?: The book says 5 mins prep and 25 minutes cooking. I'd say it's 20 mins prep and 25 mins cooking!
 
2 year old friendly?: Who knows these days! STILL in the dinner refusal stage. Tonight we managed to get him to eat 2 fish fingers (and they're his favourite!)
 
Serves 4
 
INGREDIENTS
2 leeks, diced finely
2 tbsp unsalted butter (I used lite nutelex- but it probably tastes a lot better with butter)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/2 bunch parsely leaves, chopped finely
8 thick cut lamb loin chops (2 per person)
 
Marinade for chops
Soy sauce (about 1/3 cup-ish)
1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
Freshly cracked pepper
 
METHOD
Place chops in a shallow dish on a single layer and sprinkle over garlic and pepper, and then pour over soy sauce (enough to coat each chop) and turn the chops over to coat them on both sides.
Put them in the fridge to marinate for at least 1/2 hour
Set a large saucepan over a medium heat and saute the leek in butter for 5 minutes until well-softened.
Add the garlic and cook briefly. Add the potatoes and stir well, then pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Cook over low heat, covered, for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsely
Meanwhile, grill the steak on a hot bbq or griddle pan for 4 minutes on each side until medium.
Serve with a the leek and potato porridge on the side.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment