Sunday 15 July 2012

Homemade Hamburgers

Homemade Hamburgers


A very quick and easy one- and I imagine great fun for older kids as they can construct their own burger at the table. Everyone has their own favourite burger recipe and this is mine cause it requires very little ingredients and fussing and is very quick but still tastes good. And there are no breadcrumbs used in the patty- so you could use gluten free worchestershire sauce (as I do- just cause thats the brand I buy) and make them into gluten free rissoles.

Make the patty recipe below and then what you put on the burgers is up to you! I keep it simple, I do some sauteed onions, tomato sauce, tomato, lettuce and of course the cheese I melt onto the patty (as below), and i also fry up a bit of bacon for hubby (I prefer without). You could also use any burger bun you like. As you see above, this time I have used the standard traditional bun, but turkish rolls are nice too.

The recipe makes 4 patties.

Time Taken?: About 30 minutes. And that included cleaning the kitchen before i started and the preparation of all the other burger toppings and buns etc.

2 year old friendly?: Yep, sure is! I make my little one a smaller and thinner patty, and put only a little bit of salad on the burger so it's not so high and then I cut it into managable wedges (like you'd cut a cake). He usually eats about half, and then I help him with the rest! ;-)

WHAT YOU NEED
500g mince beef
Worchestershire Sauce
Ground Cumin
1/2 spanish onion (brown onion is fine to use too if that's what you have)
4 slices of low fat cheddar cheese

METHOD
Chop the onion into a very very fine dice (almost minced)
Add it to the mince along with about 5 shakes of worchestershire sauce and about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin (sorry I don't measure this one!)
Mix together with your hands to fully combine
Divide the mixture into 4 and roll each quarter into a ball before pressing into a patty shape and transferring to a plate
Refridgerate patties while preparing the other ingredients for your burger (this is when i fry my bacon, saute my onions, slice my lettuce and tomato and pre-heat the grill on my oven for the buns. You only need to refridgerate them for as long as this takes).
Pre-heat a non-stick griddle pan or fry pan until very hot
Add the patties (no oil needed) and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked to taste.
About 1 minute before the end of cooking on the 2nd side, place a slice of cheese on each patty to melt it.
Serve with toasted buns and any toppings you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment