Friday 27 July 2012

Lamb on Rosemary Skewers

Lamb on Rosemary Skewers


This recipe was originally a weight watcher's recipe that I have adapted. It had pumpkin and was served with a cous cous. My hubby and I both don't like pumpkin,  so I did mine with more capsicum (the original had capsicum also) and have added some onion for some sweetness. Also, instead of cous cous (which hubby doesn't like), I reverted to my 'go to' grain, brown rice, which I squeezed some lemon over to serve. You could use the pumpkin and cous cous if you like.

I particularly like this one because we have rosemary in our backyard that always over grows so it's a good way to use up a good lot of rosemary at once (whereas usually you don't need much). It's also so very simple (you'll notice the 'method' section below is very short!) although it is a little fiddly to construct and takes time (I recommend it as a weekend dish).

Time Taken?: About 40min- 1 hour including all chopping and constructing the kebabs

2 year old friendly?: His little teeth are not quite up to cutting through the meat so sadly no, but I reckon this would be great for older kids as they could help make it.

INGREDIENTS
500g diced lamb (I get mine from the bucther pre-chopped, but you could buy a fillet and chop it yourself)
1 green capsicum
1 red capsicum
1 spanish onion
8 rosemary sprigs, stripped of all leaves (leaving on the tip for presentation) and cut at the bottom on the diagonal

METHOD
Cut the capsicums and onion into similar sized pieces, that are similar in size to the lamb
Thread the capsicum, lamb and onion pieces onto the skewers in a uniform order (I like to do red capsicum, lamb, onion, green capsicum, lamb, onion, red capsicum, lamb, onion, green capsicum, lamb. I end up with  4 lamb pieces on each skewer.)
Heat a grill plate or a barbeque to high heat and cook, turning, for 10 minutes, or until nice and charred and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment