Tuesday 10 July 2012

Tomato and Tuna Pasta Bake

Tomato and Tuna Pasta Bake


Now I had not planned to cook this tonight, but the chicken I was going to cook had not de-frosted in time so I had to put something together with what I had and this was it. I must say- it was a total winner! I have never done it before, it's my mum's recipe, but after a quick call to mum and a clarification I had everything in the fridge/panty, less than 40 mins later it was done and on the table! I served it with a nice mixed leaf salad dressed simply with salt, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Time taken?: As stated above- about 40 mins! Probably less if you're more organised.

2 year old friendly?: Aboslutely! This is probably the best my little man has eaten in weeks. He WOLFED it down!

This makes a LOT of pasta, I'd say about 6 serves. You will have plenty for lunches and leftovers!

WHAT YOU NEED
2 tablespoons of olive oil (if you're measuring, if you're not a really good glug!)
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed (this is not in my mum's recipe, she is allergic, so you can definately leave it out!)
1 jar of Passata (700ml)
1/4 cup water
1 500g packet of Penne Pasta
2 small cans or one big can of tuna (Mum used Tuna in olive oil which she doesn't drain, I used tuna in springwater cause it's all I had, but I drained it really well to get the briney taste out- still tasted great in the end)
A couple of really good handfuls of light chedder cheese
Some grated parmesan (optional)

METHOD
Put a large saucepan of water on to boil for the pasta
Pre-heat oven to 200 degress c
Heat oil in a medium saucepan
Cook garlic and onion, stirring until soft
Add Passata and water season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar (to reduce acidity)
Cover and bring to boil, then turn heat down to simmer steadily for about 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally
Meanwhile, add a large handful of salt to the boiling water and add pasta, cooking until all-dente
After sauce has reduced a little and thickened, add tuna and simmer for a couple more minutes to heat and combine tuna.
Drain boiled pasta when ready and return to pan. Add the sauce and stir it through.
Pour pasta into an oven dish. Grate some parmesan over the top and then top that with a generous amount of the light chedder (this is to taste).
Put uncovered into the oven and bake until cheese is melted and forms a slight crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment